Aren't they the cutest??? The "bun" was a cupcake, the "burger" was a brownie, "ketchup, mustard, lettuce" was made out of icing. The top of the burger was sprinkled with a few sesame seeds. The "fries" proved to be the most time consuming: sugar cookie dough rolled out, cut individually, and baked to perfection. Then sprinkled with a little sugar to add the "salt" effect. I had purchased a few cardboard boxes, picnic tissue and large toothpicks from the deli in our local grocery store. Yesterday was a huge pain as I had to do all the baking - but this morning was kind of fun, seeing the finished product left me with a smile....you can just call me Martha, I don't mind at all! You can see the original here: http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2009/06/fast-food-fun.html
Here comes the BIG parade....don't blink...you may miss them!
Here's Em marching in the big parade...pioneer dress, a floppy hat, flip flops and a ukulele....I'm sure that the pioneers had those, right???
After the parade, the kids met at the church pavilion and had carnival games, snow cones (always a huge hit) and an obstacle course. A picnic lunch followed all the activities as well as the cake judging contest....I got 3rd....can you believe that garbage??? All that work and a 3rd place finish! I demand a recount! To make me feel a little better, they did award me a first place paper ribbon for "Best Appearance"...apparently those cute hamburgers didn't taste as good as they looked!

After the parade, the kids met at the church pavilion and had carnival games, snow cones (always a huge hit) and an obstacle course. A picnic lunch followed all the activities as well as the cake judging contest....I got 3rd....can you believe that garbage??? All that work and a 3rd place finish! I demand a recount! To make me feel a little better, they did award me a first place paper ribbon for "Best Appearance"...apparently those cute hamburgers didn't taste as good as they looked!

To finish off the day, we had a pie eating contest. There was supposed to be a youth contest, and then an adult contest...somehow when it was time for the adult contest, there was hardly any of the usual participants around....what the heck??? Troy??? Sam??? Alan??? Greg??? Where the heck were you??? Kim has participated a few times and he was sure that this was the year that he could/would win. Since there was no one around, they just skipped over the adults and gave the pies away - I guess he'll have to wait until next year to claim the prize! The last picture does however, show our lovely and not so lady-like Abby participating in it with her friends Kacee and Alex -it was a HUGE mess, and mean old mom made them walk home! It was a fun day for the kids and adults alike - we look forward to it all year. Although next year, I may be boycotting the bake-off....

9 comments:
I was a bit sad when Erika told me that was going on Saturday. I really did miss it! Maybe I will have to get that tradition starting in my new ward.
I'm so glad you posted a picture of your hamburgers because Erika also told me about them, and the first thing that came to mind was, "did you take any pictures?" I would love to have seen them in person. I love cake decorating and stuff like that. But it is true that it is time consuming. Thats why it's fun to have excuse like that, where a lot of poeple will see and appreciate your creation. I appreciate it anyway! Good job. Do tell, what one first place? Cause I think I agree that you should have!
You deserve to be called "Martha" with all that work you put into making those! They are so adorable! I thought for sure you would have received first place! Even if they weren't scrumptous-they were cuter than ever!
Now that's a ward party. It looks like your family had fun. Blue Ribbon on the burger and fries. You put 5 guys to shame!
Yeah I think you should ask for a recount! Those are way to cute for third place!! Fun idea
3rd place? Do they know who the RS Pres is???? :)
I think your cake rocked the house!
I want to see the chick who won first?? I too love Bakerella. Fine work Martha!! You think one hundred degrees is bad? How does 114 sound? Are you sure you want to come in August? Prepare yourself.
You've got to be dogging me, 3rd place? What a sweet, cute, origional dessert. I thought your boobs looked fine.
Vickie
HEY! Its good to see your blog! I love the hamburgers! You totally got robbed though.
That's got to be the cutest burger & fries I've ever seen! Looks like a fun time...
Post a Comment