Monday, August 18, 2008

A Day of Deliverance - Part Two




Yes, it's true. I have been delivered from my misery. Today is the first day of school!! I sent three of my four children off to a full day of school. The reason for my title today is really, honestly true though! I think I had the hardest summer that I've ever had with my kids. They were bored and fighting almost daily. And when they weren't bored and fighting, they were wanting me to drive them somewhere. We spent the first two weeks of our summer on vacation. It was fun, the kids had fun, but I think that all the fun was had at the beginning of the summer and then nothing else. We didn't even go to St. George all summer. So, through no fault of their own, we had a hard summer.

Today, Abby is off to start 6th grade, Jake is off to the 4th grade and Emily is officially a 1st grader. Aside from the $100 a month it will take to feed my children school lunch, I am excited to see them back at school, learning and anything but bored. I am mostly excited for the routine it sets us back into: early bedtimes, homework schedule and regular piano lessons. We still have the occasional baseball game, theatre performance, but life seems to be slowing down a bit. Of course, it is the first day of school - give me a few weeks and I'm sure I'll be back to whining about how busy I am.....

2 comments:

April Nielsen said...

Sounds like you got just what you deserved....spoiled rotten. Good Job Kim!!!! Mike took me golfing for my birthday too...hmmm I think they are trying to convert us. I'm sure this day was more peaceful for you with the kiddos out the door. I had to laugh at the pictures of the kids....there Abby and Jake stand like any other child would and then Emily looks as posed as can be...a true diva. Hope your cheesecake is FANTASTIC!!!

Jeanna said...

I am 9 hours away from sending my 7th grader off, then 24 hours later its the 4th grader's turn. Deliverance is sweet. We also had an early vacation and spent the entire summer bored, with nothing to do. It was awful.

I like golfing, when I get to drive the cart and do nothing else! I love those golf carts WAY too much.

Happy Birthday Erin, sounds like you had an amazing weekend, topped off with school starting, it doesn't get much better than that.